Thursday, September 24, 2009

Stolen Bicycle

Today, the 24th of September, in the year two thousand and nine, my bicycle was stolen. I arrived at my 6 p.m. class just like every other Thursday night. I was excited and ready to turn in my paper on the Judgment at Nuremberg. My roommate, Mathew Milewski, and I decided to be environmentally conscious and ride our bikes to class. We arrived at the OSH building on campus at about 5:55 p.m., locked up the bikes, and walked into the building to go to class. Matt and I decided to depart from the class at about 7:20 p.m. When we walked out to our bikes, something looked different. It took me a minute to realize what had happened, but alas, there was my lock, dangling from the bike rack. My bike nowhere to be seen. As I stood there I could feel a deep feeling of anger, and rage. All I could think about was who does this person think they are? How can a person walk up, see something that is not theirs, and take it with no guilt? Its sad that our society has come to this. I cannot feel safe taking my possesions out in public? This also leads me to wonder, how could no one have seen this happen? The University of Utah campus is very busy pretty much all the time. When I left my class the sun was still shining. This person walked up to my bike with some sort of clippers, I can't help but imagine they were quite large to cut the cable of my bike lock, and no one noticed?
When I got back to my house I put up a message on Facebook letting people know my bike got stolen. The first response I recieved was "so go steal someone else's bike". Was this person serious? What a terrible way to look at things. I know not all people are like this but it seems that more and more people are finding it ok to take what is not theirs. Do others, and yourself, a favor. Treat other people, and their things, with great respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment